Rumen8 version 1
If you prefer to use version 1 of Rumen8 it is still available for download here.
Rumen8 can be downloaded and used straight away in demo mode but is restricted to 2 diet components until it is registered. Registration is free. To apply for a registration number please send an email to Richard Morris at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note the registration number for Rumen8 version 2 will not work with Rumen8 version 1.
The installer for Rumen8 version 1 (2.5 MB)Manual
The draft Rumen8 manual (588 KB)Report
An independent evaluation of Rumen8 (756 KB)Framework
Optional - .NET Framework support file from Microsoft (50.4 MB)
This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied warranty. In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this software.
Windows XP users
If you are still using the Microsoft Windows XP
operating system Rumen8 requires Microsoft .Net Framework to be installed before its installation. When you attempt to install Rumen8 you will be told if you do not have this installed.
It is available as a free download from the Microsoft site through the Windows Update program under optional downloads or from the Download Centre directly (link above).
If you are using Windows Vista, 7 or 8 the .Net framework is already included with the Windows operating system.
Before upgrading copy your library files
Rumen8 stores user preferences, cow and feed data in the system directory by default.
“\Program Files\Department of Agriculture and Food Western Australia\Rumen8”
Before upgrading copy the files prefs.csv, cow.csv and feed.csv
to your documents directory so you have a backup in case installation overwrites your files. These files should be part of your normal backup program. Copy the files back after upgrading to the newer version of Rumen8 if required.
Rumen8 is available for Microsoft Windows based computers running XP and later. Any computer less than 8 years old will run it without any problems.
Windows 7 users
Some Windows 7 (64 bit version) users have reported problems saving preferences and editing the feed library. To solve this Rumen8 must be run as an administrator.
- Right click on the Rumen8 icon on the desktop and select “Properties”
- Click on the “Compatibility” tab
- Click on the check box next to “Run this program as Administrator”
- Click on the OK button to exit the properties window
Rumen8 should now run correctly under Windows 7.
What's new What’s new in Version 126.96.36.199 (May 2014)
What’s new in Version 188.8.131.52 (Apr 2014)
- Fixed a bug that caused ME required for growth to be underestimated if the cow was losing weight.
- Re-enabled the ability to click on the splash screen objects to close it.
- Made the end of install text more explicit in stating the optimiser function only works with Excel versions 2002, 2003 and 2007.
- Removed window resizing code that was resulting in windows opening at odd sizes on non-default screen sizes.
What’s new in Version 184.108.40.206 (Apr 2014)
- Fixed a bug that under rare circumstances may result in the feed parameter aN being set to 0 for all feeds when the user reverted to an old feed library as they exited the feed editor. To check if this has occurred to your feed library ensure the required aN parameter is greater than 0 in the feed editor or feed library file (feed.csv).
What’s new in Version 220.127.116.11 (Sep 2013)
- Fixed a bug that resulted in milk income being calculated incorrectly if milk units were set to kilograms.
- Fixed ADIN calculation error where blank ADIN value caused the calculation of DUP to work on ADIN=-9999 instead of switching to a proportion of UDP.
What’s new in Version 1.2.1 (Jan 2010)
- Cosmetic changes to comply with the new Department of Agriculture and Food branding guidelines.
- Rumen8 can now use the solver functionality of Microsoft Excel from Office 1997 through to 2007.
- Optimiser setup controls have been moved from the menus to the preferences and now include which version of Microsoft Office is installed.
- Feed costs can exceed $999 per tonne.
- The Open and Save As dialog now remember the last directory.
- The milk yield input box doesn’t reverse the digits entered if no decimal point is present.