Step by step installation instructions are available in the User Guide that include upgrading from Rumen8 version 1. The User Guide can be downloaded separately from this page so you can read it before installing Rumen8 if you need assistance.
Rumen8 version 2 can be installed on a computer that already has Rumen8 version 1 installed and they will run independently and not share library files. Diet files, feed library files (feed.csv) and cow files (cow.csv) are the same format and interchangeable. This means they can be copied from your version 1 installation without change to the new library folder at \Documents\Rumen8\Libraries.
Rumen8 requires the Microsoft Windows operating system to run. This can be Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 or 8.1. It is recommended you run Windows Update and install all the updates recommended by Microsoft before installing Rumen8.
If you computer can run Windows adequately, it will be sufficient for Rumen8.
Rumen8 requires the Microsoft NET Framework version 4 or higher to be installed. If your computer has been fully updated this will be installed automatically for Windows XP. For Windows Vista, 7 and 8 version 4.5 of the NET Framework will be installed automatically and this is backward compatible with version 4.
Rumen8 also requires the Microsoft PowerPacks10 software. If this is not installed on your computer it will be installed automatically during the installation of Rumen8 if your computer has an Internet connection. If your computer is offline the PowerPack10 software can be downloaded from the Rumen8 or Microsoft websites on another machine and then installed separately before installing Rumen8.
Rumen8 The installer for Rumen8 (4.5 MB)
Guide The User Guide (it is also in the installer 3.5 MB)
Report An independent evaluation of Rumen8 v1 (756 KB)
Framework Optional - .NET Framework support file from Microsoft (50.4 MB)
PowerPacks Optional - PowerPacks10 from Microsoft (447 KB)
This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied warranty. In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this software.
- Some users are reporting difficulty in downloading and installing Rumen8 with anti-virus software active. For example, Norton Anti-virus may incorrectly identify the Rumen8 installer as a threat and remove it without any feedback to the user. If you are having problems like this just turn off your anti-virus package while you download and install Rumen8. Don’t forget to turn it back on afterwards.
- For existing users of Rumen8 version 1, the feed library has a new location. It now lives in the \Rumen8\Libraries folder in your Documents folder.
- Rumen8 version 2 no longer creates a desktop shortcut. To start it for the first time you must go into the All Programs section of the Start Menu. Pin the Start Menu icon to the Desktop or Taskbar if you still prefer a Rumen8 icon there.
- Users in non English speaking countries may have problems loading the feed library if the default decimal symbol in your location is not a period. If this occurs you must change the decimal character back to a period (.) in the Control Panel, Region and Language, Formats, Additional Settings and then the Decimal symbol drop down menu. Please contact me if you require further information or assistance with this.
What's newWhat's new in Version 126.96.36.199 (September 2015)
What's new in Version 188.8.131.52 (September 2015)
- Changes to the DUP calculation in the previous version were incorrect so it has been reverted to the original correct formula (the error was in the test data, not Rumen8).
What's new in Version 184.108.40.206 (December 2015)
- Fixed a bug in the calculation of DUP is the feed had ADIN information. This was resulting in a small under estimate of the MP supply from the diet.
- Added a menu option to reload the feed library from the disk. Useful if you run multiple instances of Rumen8 and have updated the feed library in one of them.
What’s new in Version 220.127.116.11 (September 2015)
- Updated the User Guide to the latest version.
- Added the units (g) to the Excess protein tooltip in the MP Detail window.
- Added an 'OR' to the excess protein penalties on the Diet Detail tab to make it clear the kg liveweight change and litres of milk forgone are not cumulative.
- Added tooltips to the Amount and Wet column headings on the Diet Detail tab to better explain losses only apply to the costs, not the amount fed specified in the feed amounts.
- Fixed a bug that resulted in the Intake traffic light not working when one of the feeds did not have an NDF value even when intake is estimated using the NRC methodology.
What’s new in Version 18.104.22.168 (March 2015)
- No changes, just modified the install package to stop it getting incorrectly listed as containing a virus.
What’s new in Version 22.214.171.124 (January 2015)
- Fixed a couple of annoying spelling errors. Thanks to Steve Little and Matthew Bekker for pointing them out.
- Added entry of herd cow numbers to the Cow tab so margin can be calculated for the entire herd, not just one cow.
What’s new in Version 126.96.36.199 (November 2014)
- Fixed an incorrect milk price calculation when the milk payment prices were entered for components.
- Changed the behaviour of the component cost lines on the Costs tab so they are now invisible when the diet component is set to ’None’ to improve the clarity of the screen.
What’s new in Version 188.8.131.52 (September 2014)
- The optimiser spreadsheets used by Rumen8 to optimise diets have been updated to reflect changes made in version 2.
- The User Guide has been updated to remove the suggestion the optimiser function may work with Excel 2010 or 2013, it doesn’t.
What’s new in Version 184.108.40.206 (August 2014)
- Updated feed library to remove corrupted aN values for many of the feeds.
- Rumen8 no longer displays diet performance under a maintenance level of feeding. This is because some of the protein relationships are not valid below maintenance feeding.
- Compatibility with Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1.
- Library files such as the feed, cow and preferences are now kept under the user documents folder allowing easy access and backup.
- Supports multiple users on one computer with independent feed libraries and preferences.
- New Diet tab that presents only the 6 most important diet parameters to the user to allow easier diet balancing for new users.
- New Prices tab that allows the user to modify component feed costs for the current diet without going into the feed editor.
- New Costs tab that allows the user to enter 24 milk prices, 12 as cents per litre and 12 as a payment for fat + protein with a volume discount. Switching between milk prices only takes two clicks.
- Online updating from within Rumen8.
- Diets can be created for non-lactating mature cows.
- Cosmetic updates to reflect the user interface on later versions of Windows.
- The user interface has been de-cluttered to provide fewer distractions for new users.
- The feed library editor now displays feed parameters as the user moves through them and can be enlarged to view more of large feed libraries.
- Multiple feeds can be selected and unselected in the feed library editor.
- Feed names must now be unique within a library.
- Local feed libraries can be used in folders with saved diets so smaller feed libraries can be created that are farm specific.
- Total excess protein is now calculated, not just excess ERDP.
- The maximum number of feeds has been doubled to 2000.
- Improved error and file handling so error messages, particularly with the library files, are more specific and easier to understand.
- The Optimiser tab is hidden by default, as it is no longer a supported function.
- Library files are checked on start and if they have been deleted or corrupted Rumen8 offers to re-copy the default libraries.
- 5% safety margin now applies to protein, not just energy.
- Added the calculation of NDF from forage as a percentage of live weight.
- Bug fixed that may have resulted in incorrect ADIN calculation in some situations.
- Bug fixed where reverting a feed to the pre editing parameters set aN to 0.
- Bug fixed where ME requirement for growth was under estimated if the cow was losing weight.
- The Cow tab now calculates milk solids from yield and components entered by the user.
- User settings are now stored in the application settings file, not the registry.
- Version 2 of Rumen8 requires a new registration code.
- A new user guide for Rumen8 version 2.
- A new home on the Internet at http://www.rumen8.com.au and support at email@example.com